Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Different clans, gangs & cie
Vrook: I'm sorry...
Sharpey: I might have exaggerated the thing Tongue
Let's see the bright sight of this world!
Yes CB Purple gang a.k.a The Saints Big Grin
Maybe there would be Horde and Alliance ,lol
A few of the forum members and I started talking about "gangs" and "clans" in the alley today. I saw this thread and was about to post earlier but then I thought, why not just bring it up right then and there? I feel like I have a few concerns with the rise of these gangs and clans. While I understand and see the benefit that these groups may have on roleplay, I think there may be several drawbacks as well.

My first concern with the amount of gangs and clans is that the group mentality will limit who the group participants will talk to. If you're not in Group A or if you belong to Group B but not A, you may not be able to talk to those people as you would normally. Sure, you could join the group, but then that leads to the next question. What are the differences and ideologies within these groups? As Fenix_TS said in the alley today, groups are good for discussion like book clubs and the like, but there don't seem to be many differences between all these groups besides "let's wear this color and claim this area as our turf."

All of this leads to my biggest concern. Bullying via group mentality. There's no doubt that it is much easier to bully when you are in a group of people then when you are alone. You have unbridled support from other group members, even without a clear purpose, and you feel that insults and bullying is easier because you're not an individual, you're in a group. In order for the victim to retaliate, they would have to take on the whole group.

Ironically, just as we were talking about groups and clans, some mafia came into the Beaver Bash alley and just started spamming. One of the members made it seem like they were there to "declare war" but it didn't even seem like most of the group members knew what was going on. In fact, most members didn't know where their "Don" was or what they were doing there in the first place. I'll admit I voiced my opinion about the triviality of their group and a few of their members became very confrontational with me to the point that one member suggested future rape and that they would come back for me. Obviously those kind of empty threats don't worry me because I can ignore them, report them and what not, but how much easier was it for him to say that with the support of his cronies?

I'm not here to call for the breakup of all gangs and unions like Reagan did with unions, but I am worried about creating factions among the very people that we call friends and that we hope to associate with. Even among the MnF forum users, why do we need to divide an otherwise small group of active users anyway?
With the Cactus Cult, I can goof around with funny people.

Yes, I see your point, and I agree with you. But I wasn't seeing the groups as a bullying tool, but more like a, said that before, club where you can find and discuss about a thing that the group likes.
E.g: the Tantric Club, where you can meet good partners for a mutual relation during the sex.

By the way, I prefer making love than fucking, because I can feel a deep connection between my partner and me. (Seriously, I cried while making love)
ohhh cath, that's so sweet...
Megan, like i told you and all the alley people, that's only kid's playing...but, yes, the pack effect can produce hostility, as for that threat, the "person" was lucky i wasn't paying attention, or i take care of him right there, because, no one, and i mean no one, threats or bully my friends!!!
To be simple is to be great
(02-10-2016, 09:33 AM)Fenix-TS Wrote: ohhh cath, that's so sweet...
Megan, like i told you and all the alley people, that's only kid's playing...but, yes, the pack effect can produce hostility, as for that threat, the "person" was lucky i wasn't paying attention, or i take care of him right there, because, no one, and i mean no one, threats or bully my friends!!!

Yay! Get them Fenix! *punches the air*
Yep, basically all of what Megan stated.

The gangs I seen have been nothing more than an annoyance. Claiming turf, spamming caps, and then outright flaming users cause they do not share their views. Reporting such behavior didn't seem to do anything in resolve to the issue. It is one thing to have fun, it is another to conform to a form of 'cyber terrorism.'
ey Drake, cyber terrorism? thats a strong word, no need to use that in here, let's see it like it was, a group of friends dressed with same colours, talking and hanging around, spending the time..., sure, there are one or two that cross the line, but that's it...
To be simple is to be great
I'm a lone vampire and sometimes I bite... but not on your neck! Big Grin