Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Culture exchange
Hello, Cath here!

Since we're a community and since we share a lot, I thought it might be a good idea do go further. I talked with Sharp to know if it would a be good thread and he gave me the green signal. 

What is this thread about? Simple, we talk about about your culture. The subject is really large, so it might be difficult to start. 

Here is my example:

I come from the Philippines, a beautiful country composed by 7.107 islands and about 2.000 of them are inhabited, 2.400 others don't even have a name. My homeland is a pacifist one even tho we have an army, and a military duty-like during the high school which is called CAT (citizen advanced training). Anyway, we are also known to be very welcoming, a nice temper and willing to help the others.

This description might be biased, but this is how I see my country, I can be wrong, but who's perfect?

I'm looking forward to get to know your culture!

Love,

Cath

PS: No rasism allowed
Let's see the bright sight of this world!
I am still a bit shy to reveal my real side, and culture is like part of it....but yeah maybe as i get more comfy here i might share Smile
but thanks for this thread Smile....might lurk on others culture XD
[Image: YoG5lWf.jpg]
I grew up in the USA and come from a heritage of Italian, Scottish, Irish, Hungarian and Native American background. I left the US to travel the world and experience new cultures. So far I have lived about 12 years of my life in various Pacific Ocean countries and added some of their cultural values to mine (You'll see me bow a lot for greetings). I have not been to the Phillippines yet but worked with many folks from there. I would agree with you Cath that most are friendly
Ladies, Maybe you like the mischievous Thief? Sure he can steal your heart, but he'll be gone in the morning.. along with everything that isn't nailed down or on fire.
[Image: 781e6f42a790376108c3ca93b9a0c1c2.jpg]

I'm from Malaysia, more specifically Sabah, a very sought out getaway destination not only by tourists worldwide, but also from our neighbouring Semanjung (Malaysia comprised of Semenanjung, Sabah and Sarawak). I'd say the island getaways are the main attraction, namely Mamutik, Sipadan, Gaya, and many, many more Smile

In Sabah, when we're going to have a get together, a grouping, or hanging out, we call it "aramaite". If someone wanna hang out we'll say "Hey, let's aramaite tonight!"

Also, same as other Asian countries our staple food is always, and I mean always include rice in the menu. With some protein sources such as meat and vegetable dishes. Also, some races also practices eating with their hand (without cutleries), which have been discovered that our hands contains enzymes that can help food digestions. So you won't be scorned even if you eat your food without spoons and such in Malaysia (Though, this practice is rarely seen in restaurants and such nowadays)

Anyways, that's all I could say regarding my culture and my country. Do ask if you are interested with more of it ^^
A wise man always say: 
"Make Love, Not War"
Being English, more specifically Brummie, culture isn't something I can really relate to..

Joking aside, I'm not really sure I can accurately describe the English, or even British, culture. There are of course the stereotypical things, such as how we believe politeness and respect for others is vitally important; don't even think about jumping a queue or cutting in line, otherwise be prepared for scores of people to mutter under their breath yet not actually do anything about it. We are also generally very proud, I think, and would rather find ourselves lost for 3 weeks in Milton Keynes than ever ask somebody for directions. In fact, talking to strangers is generally a big taboo, and attempting to do so could attract glares, a shake of the head, or even some strong tutting.

And possibly the biggest taboo in British culture; never complain about your haircut. It doesn't matter if you just wanted an inch of the back and you end up with a buzzcut, you just smile and nod and say everything is fine. The same approach applies in restaurants; even if your steak arrived still mooing, despite you asking for it charred, tell the waiter it's perfect.

Oh, and if you happen to hear a car alarm or house alarm going off, the correct response is to complain about the noise, rather than consider that perhaps somebody's car or house has been broken into.

And you may think I'm still joking, but I can assure you I am being deadly serious.
Hi, I'm Tantrum, or Luis if you prefer, I'm from Portugal, a small European country, rich in history, art, architecture (my field of expertise), food, wine and (I really don't know why, since we are so few) football players, LOL
We have awesome beaches, but they aren't conveniently explored, We have luxuriant forests, but they are left unclean and for that reason, miles and miles of hectares burn each year, we have sun almost every year and for that reason no one bother clean the drainage gutters, and of course, when the rain come, we have amazing floods...Ah and we have Portuguese people living in Portugal...I talk about them next.
Well, Portuguese people, right... We are very brave, for instance, when the authorities announced the arrival of giant waves at our shores and advised people to stay away, WE GO THERE, and we created a new sport that day, Oh what a glorious day that was, young, old, men, women, even grandparents holding hand with grandchildren, all running, trying to escape the waves...beautiful!
We feel proud of the Portuguese who succeeds, for instance, Cristiano Ronaldo, that's why so many sport commentators keep saying that Messi is better and some even think that our National team was better without him, Ah! and that guy (Portuguese, of course) that YELL, Messi, Messi, Messi, when CR7 was arriving to join the National Team concentration.
We know the values that matters, for instance, we avoid manifestations to defend our rights but to defend our football club we go to hell and we fight the devil himself; funny thing, the police (Portuguese, of course) have the same values, they unleash the hounds on the manifestations and they look to the other way when the football supporters plunder, destroy and terrorize, Ah! except that sub commander, who decided that it was a good idea to beat in a supporter accompanied by his 2 young kids and his elder father, sublime.
And the culture, we value that, like our former President showed to the world when he was on a literary convention dedicated to Portuguese writers and he "FORGOT" to mention our ONLY awarded with the Nobel Prize of Literature.
Justice, we are awesome in applying that, if you stole a few pennies YOU HAVE TO PAY, if you stole Millions, THE TAXPAYERS WILL PAY.
Economy, we rule at that, when the Troika was here and said that we had to reduce by 10% the government spending, our "genius" former prime minister said, no way, we reduce in 15%, as result, we had 4 WONDERFUL years, funny thing, they didn't achieve any objective, but they reduced alright... the quality of education, the quality of health care, the quality of life, ah! they reduced the holidays, one of them was the Implementation of Republic, basically our 4th of July!!! ahhhh, even funnier...THE PORTUGUESE PEOPLE voted on them for 4 more years...
And that take me to my last item, sex, we are the world's best on it, why? because AS MUCH AS THEY FUCK US, WE STILL ASK FOR MORE.
Anybody from another country?
Let's see the bright sight of this world!
I am from America and where I live it's just a huge melting pot lol. It did surprise me though when I had to do a project for my anthropology class that there were so many middle-eastern type locations where I live. It made the project rather fun to do.
You asked for it Big Grin
I am from germany.
Beatiful country with a good amount of nature.
Most people here(with an age of 30+) are pretty conservative while my generation liberalizes the country.
Everyone here tries to get a good job and if you make it into Volkswagen, you got the jackpot.
Germans are not happy without something to complain about. Mostly politics.
Most of the german food is some kind of flesh, potatos or both.
[Image: Sig.jpg]
hmm if it is come to culture than nothing better than Asian culture,

i am from Pakistan and its culture is the best culture it has a lot of culture like we have province and every province have there own culture and in that culture there is culture dress and food and dance and a lot of things to describe if it should be it takes a lot of pages to tell.

and for our culture we love spices food to eat and love to wear or old times cloth like Shalwar and Khamees(Qamees).