Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Moderators, and what you (always) wanted to know about them
Meanwhile we have a long history of in game and forum moderators. (Just could greet Vrook and AllyStark in game and saw their new mod sign ;-))
I think it would be nice to have (here perhaps) a place where people can get informations about our moderators.
Some informations like:
 - People who are (actually) moderator
 - Abilities and rights of a forum moderator
 - Abilities and rights of an in game moderator
 - Perhaps an “introduce yourself post” here from the moderators, with some information they would like to give us, like preferred server and /or place, where to find usually, regulary or randomly online,

Following list is my state of knowledge  at this moment  (10/03/2018)   ;-))

From the FAQ thread written by Emmie:

Who are the current moderators, and how do I contact them?
The following are currently moderators in the game:
AllyBratBADGURLBOLD_EAGLEClementineElizabeth_GrayEmmieKumoriMrKianSpade (trial) and Vrook.
The following are currently moderators on the forum:
CathEmmieJCF and Vrook.

To contact a forum moderator, simply click our names here and you will be directed to the PM page for EmmieJCFCath and Vrook.
And if you want to reach the in-game moderators on the forum, you have Emmie and Vrook.
If you want contact support instead, go HERE and send an email to the specified adress.
Moderators you can't reach on the forum are Kumori, BADGURL, AllyBrat, Elizabeth_Gray, BOLD_EAGLE, Clementine and MrKianSpade (trial).

How are moderators chosen/recruited?
We look for integrity, language skills, social competence, keen eyes and as little bias as possible when we look for a new moderator. Then we look into their history on MNF, what we know and can find. And based on all of that, we choose whether we want to let them try out for moderator or not.

From Emmie's FAQ post i took this information too:

We have color coded members on this forum so you can tell what they are:

[*]Pink means they're an in-game moderator, 
[*]Teal means they're a forum moderator (though a forum moderator could be an in-game moderator as well. The reason in-game moderators are sepperated from forum moderators is cause in-game moderators can't help you with forum issues). 
[*]And green means it's an administrator.

Other Forum member colours
[*]White means it's a member who's yet to go past the 20 posts. 
[*]Yellow means they're past that and are trusted not to be bots.
[Image: detail.gif]
Technically, I'm a former forum and in-game moderator at this point. I help run the Discord server and I've still got the shield on J, but I no longer have mod powers here on the forums, and I haven't logged into the mod panel since I went on what's turned out to be a permanent hiatus. And if I do lose the shield, I have no plans to get it back.

For a start, the one question I got a lot was: "How do you become a moderator?" The first step is to ask. But realistically, I have forgotten three-quarters of the people who asked because I believed at least one of the following were true:
- They have ever been banned.
- They have not contributed helpful reports.
- They don't have the patience and level head to deal with people who often are having a really shitty day.
- They are prone to conflict.
- They don't have the time or interest in going above and beyond the bare minimum.
- They just want free shit.

I'd also like to point out what rights moderators do not have. They cannot:
- Grant exp, in-game cash, or premium access.
- Reveal a player's other avatars to another person. (Note that a warning applies to the account, not just one avatar.)
- Tell you how many days you have left on your premium account.
- Forcibly return in-game cash.

As for what abilities and rights moderators have, I will defer that to the current team. What I can say is that moderators are trusted with a lot of information. And they are sworn to protect everyone on MnF whether they like them or not. Whether they are male, female, somewhere in between, or none of the above. If they're suspected of playing favorites, that'll be questioned very carefully by other mods. They communicate, they discuss, they sometimes bicker. And it's all to protect you.

They screw up plenty of times. They will make enemies. They discover shocking things that they simply cannot reveal. And they will encounter a great deal of heart-wrenching situations. Friends that they'll need to take action against. And mistakes that will absolutely need to be corrected. And the only payment they currently get here is a free premium account (Again, if you seriously just want this job because you want free shit, you are already the wrong person for it).

It's not an easy job. But it's a rewarding one... if you can handle the pressure that's on you. I'm a little late on Vrook and Ally_Stark, but congrats to you both, and keep up the good work! And remember: If someone starts calling for you to be fired for a bullshit reason... then congratulations. You have officially popped your cherry.
[Image: tumblr_m5n0e4lflM1ryds47o8_r1_250.gif]
(02-28-2018, 07:30 PM)JCF Wrote: . But realistically, I have forgotten three-quarters of the people who asked because I believed at least one of the following were true:
- They don't have the patience and level head to deal with people who often are having a really shitty day.
- They don't have the time or interest in going above and beyond the bare minimum.
Quite the tragedy for the special 25% that ask and still get disregarded...  Cry

ALSO Willy, you forgot Blackburne as one of the ingame mods; and Bad + Kum are not forum moderators, I’m pretty sure the pink ones have some limitations to them that forum mods don’t have...
(02-28-2018, 09:04 PM)JohnSins Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 07:30 PM)JCF Wrote: . But realistically, I have forgotten three-quarters of the people who asked because I believed at least one of the following were true:
Quite the tragedy for the special 25% that ask and still get disregarded...  Cry

ALSO Willy, you forgot Blackburne as one of the ingame mods; and Bad + Kum are not forum moderators, I’m pretty sure the pink ones have some limitations to them that forum mods don’t have...

And cath isn't on In game moderator. The other 2(Vrook and ally_stark) no idea of who are them. But anyways it's the same.
Well, given JCF has pretty much covered all that was there to be answered, I ain't gonna add to much to it.

I'm Vrook. Some of you may have already heard about me or see me either on game or on the forums. Been playing for some time now, so I've seen a lot of people coming or leaving to and from the game. But that's normal after all, since everyone has a life of his/her own.

As where to find me in-game, I don't really have a place where I hang around. But I mostly run around Booty Camp, so there's a big chance you'll see me around there. Either in Southern MNF or in the Alley.

And that would pretty much be all I have to say for the moment. If I'll think of something else that I'd need to add up, I'll revise this post later on.
[Image: NDPLBU9.png]
Hi! Cath here!

I guess you'd like some of my background, right? I'm an "old" player of the game, I've been here for like three years? I can't remember correctly the dates. I've been a very active member of the forum, posting almost everyday. I used to do Sunday's mini thread (SMT). And since I was fluent in French, I put the basis of the French meeting and let someone else organise the rest but eventually that person left.

After the promotion of Emmie, JCF and Sharp, I too wanted to join the moderator team. Back at the time, I was well-known and I was somewhat helpful, so I got my promotion after asking Vally.

Now that wer'e a bigger team, the application to become one of us was more... regulated and not depending on one person.

Now, if you need my help, you know where to contact me.
Let's see the bright sight of this world!
I'm Emelie, aka Emmie. I've been a member of MnF since 28-12-2015, so this is my third year. I had a rough start with MnF and met a lot of bad people but eventually I settled in at the MnF Alley on Beaver Bash. The group that hung out there was really friendly most of the time and I found myself a lot of long lasting friends there. I even met Sharp there, whom I consider to have been a really good friend at the time. Due to personal reasons I assume, he had a breakdown and had to leave, leaving quite a mess behind. I started out as a forum moderator and was later added to in-game moderating.

I find the MnF community, in large, to be a great community. Keep up the great work.
[Image: xpXEtwW.gif?noredirect]
I've got a question. For me, I honestly didn't like banning anyone. Everyone has bad days, and even scammers I more just pity for being so desperate they have to concoct schemes to screw people over.

Except white supremacists. Because something about Nazis and anyone who defends them made me downright giddy to show them the virtual door.

Are there any times you are genuinely happy to mete out mod justice?
[Image: tumblr_m5n0e4lflM1ryds47o8_r1_250.gif]
As for me, I'd say I'm quite similar in that I feel bad about banning people. I prefer giving warnings and seeing people just enjoy the game. My giddiness extends to other forms of bigotry as well though, sexism especially. It just feels good to give the boot to people that think they're better than everyone else for the way they were born I think.
[Image: xpXEtwW.gif?noredirect]
I'd really like to know what is the criteria for declining a report.
Seriously. My goal here is not to flame.
But when a guy chases someone across the map, or insists in invading a shower and trying to rape a girl over and over again, and her report gets a simple "declined", it really sounds like "fuck you, deal with it".

The number of toxic users in the game is close to overwhelming, and without a moderator group we can count on, it can quickly become unbearable.

Imma not saying "ban them all" on faith alone, but come on. Even with PRINTS of a guy standing behind you, uninvited, in three different places, claiming in the publich chat how he is laughing at your discomfort, the message that follows up being "your report has been declined" makes one seriously question if the mods are really here to guarantee a better game experience for all.

Sorry for the ones who actually do their jobs, here. I've had mods in my friends list before, but nowadays, what i see mostly is a real disregard with issues that should not be simply put aside as "drama". In a game that is hardly attractive by its updates, what brings many here is the social experience. Which turns impossible if you can not trust the powers that be.