Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Learn to roleplay / learn to do it better.
(02-12-2016, 05:03 PM)Kyrios Wrote: Many of these things have already been mentioned, but here is my advice.

Some quick RP tips for those interested in improving:

Differentiate between speech and actions with some visible cue. Typically, if you do a lot of speech use an action identifier, if a lot of action a speech identifier.

*I hug you, saying* You are great.

Try to use language appropriate to the situation, don't be scared of using a little hyperbole or exaggeration , if you are in a romantic context (the example I am using), the following is better than the above

*I draw you into my embrace, saying* You are perfect.

Add sensory details, be explicit, if your partner knows exactly what is going on it is easier for them to visualise what you mean to convey

*I draw you into my embrace, placing my mouth next to your ear. You feel the warmth of my breath as I whisper* You are perfect

Remember that this is a collaborative enterprise, even if you are in control of the scene, describing your surroundings and such, avoid dictating the other characters actions.

WRONG

YOU: *As I lay you on the soft silk sheets, the smooth fabric caresses your skin raising shivers. I take a chocolate from the bowl and press it against your   lips. As you bite into it the sharp tang of liquor coats your tongue* 

BETTER

YOU: *I lay you on the soft silk sheets, the smooth fabric caresses your skin.*

THEY: *I shiver as the cold clean sheets touch me*

YOU: *I reach tot eh bowl and select a chocolate bringing it to your lips*

THEY: *I part my lips, taking the treat into my mouth and savouring it*

YOU: *As you bite into it the sharp tang of liquor coats your tongue*.

Understand the difference between you the character and you the player. If you want to talk as a player then I would suggest using something to signify that you are (talking in brackets often works)

Kiss me *I press you down, gently pushing you towards my groin* (Are you comfortable with that?)

Try to get into a rhythm and match a pace with your partner. If you're partner types a paragraph, you don't necessarily need to type as much, its important to keep things flowing, not show who is the best typist. Similarly if you are leaving your partner behind with your speed you should probably slow down.

Look for cues about what your partner wants and likes, then try to build on them even if they move you away from your original intent

YOU: *I kiss the back of your neck moving up to gently nibble your ear*

THEY: Ohhh *I moan as you touch my ear*

YOU: *I run my tongue across your ear, then gently kiss and nip your earlobe, whilst my hands slide across your stomach*

Talk about things before hand and be very clear about what you want. This is exceptionally important if you are oging to be doing kinky stuff, let your partner know if there are things you don't want as well as do.

Learn your skills, limits and fantasies and be fearless exploring them, but respect those of your partner.

Lastly, as you play more, figure out the times when you should bend or break the above rules and with who.

I'm new to the game and forum and have never really roleplayed before. I just found the game yesterday when I was in need of release Tongue  and had the pleasure of having a great first in-room experience that lasted a while and had some good rp elements which I enjoyed really much so now I'm hooked and read this post to get into the groove and figure out the does and don'ts. Which turns out, are different for different people. But nothing's ever that simple.

Still I found this post and all the input super helpful but Kyrios was - for me - the best with all the examples so thank you very much for your time and effort to explain and share your wisdom!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Learn to roleplay / learn to do it better. - by skaigonakeryon - 07-24-2017, 08:08 AM