Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Learn to roleplay / learn to do it better.
(01-20-2016, 04:20 PM)Bansai Wrote: Golden rule of thumb: Please your partner first before yourselves Wink
Best advice , and not only for this game indeed Wink

Good topic too, full of good advice and well worth the bump.

But there are a few things i disagree tough, and thats because i feel that rp (here especially) can mean very different things to different people, which go from just describing a sex scene without any character development or plot, to a full epic story where sex is absent. Which is why im really not a fan of jumping into rp without preliminary talk, for agreeing at least on a setup and timeline (i especially mean a 1st rp with a person, once u know each other a bit or if ure a very experienced player, u can obviously move faster, but i really wouldnt advise it for starters).

An advice that i feel is missing here, is to separate between content and style. They re both important, but i feel discussion style is way underrated in game, yet its really what makes the difference between an enjoyable and a boring session to me. Style isnt just grammar (3d vs 1st person, in particular) and vocabulary use, which jcf just gave an example, but also pm vs all chat (i for one dislike pm for rp, as it gives me the impression my partner is doing something else at the same time, and hanging with pple in pms remind me parties where everyone is on their phone), which will pretty much define the speed and line length (short and quick back and forth-> all chat, long and detailed posts-> pm).

Voila for my opinion, i dont think i can add more to it as it would just be restating whats already been said:
- leave room for ur partner to pitch in, dont control her/his actions, and throw some lines to her/him to work with
- keep ooc communications open and clear (no matter what the rp was, feedback and a virtual hug will only improve  the next sessions)
- dont hesitate to try go out of ur confort zone, but also dont hesitate to stop if its too much for u (an agreed safe word can work in here too)
- be honest to urself and ur partner with what u like/dont like.
- Remember there can be incompatibilities between people here, its not disliking each other if u just dont click in a rp. See if u wanna retry in a different way, or just leave on friendly terms. Again , communication+feddback is the key

Messages In This Thread
RE: Learn to roleplay / learn to do it better. - by carnacien - 03-13-2017, 05:52 PM