Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bots, Advertisers, Spammers and other crap
Hello all,

It would seem we have an epidemic on our hands... first, that POOMBZET shit, and now "Buy adipex"... I'm sure there are others. Angry

And they are multiplying.

Moderators and admins, is there anything you can do about this? Tighter security? I suggest putting in place a registration mechanism with visual recognition of characters (i.e, "please type the letters and numbers you see in the box above" thingy)...

Ivan
"Let my worship be within the heart that rejoiceth, for behold: all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals."
The Goddess -
I agree they're very annoying. I'm not sure if they've increased in numbers since my time here, but it's a problem nonetheless.

On the registration page, they already have image verification and a security question, so I don't know how much tighter security can be. Although, I'm not sure if "What is 2+2?" is necessarily a reflection of strong security...
"Each night has one sound I know: the moon against the water like your cheek across mine in another life." – Sara Eliza Johnson
Agreed, it's annoy and their multiplying. Their should be maybe on the registration, "Type what is on the screen."
(Fuck You Bots)
(Fuck You Scammers)
(Fuck You Advertisers)
(And Fuck You Mickboy12)
If you dislike my point? That's great, good for you Big Grin
Yeah, I feel if the forums used Captcha to create an account, it would prevent some of the bots. Though one could always still make an account manually then copy and paste their spam.
The spammers and bots have been a problem almost since the forum was launched. It's no surprise, and there is little can be done to prevent. There are measures in place to try and prevent bots, but a simple Captcha isn't enough; bots are becoming more and more 'sophisticated' to be beaten by these. For now, all we can do is report the spam accounts and threads. Vally will ban them as they are reported.

For me, the problem isn't the likes of 'Buy Adipex' and similar spammers, as they make their own threads that, provided they are simply reported and nobody posts on it, will be buried beneath newer and active threads, and ultimately forgotten.

POOMBZET was a real problem, because it posted on almost every active thread, in some cases multiple times. And as things are, Vally doesn't currently have the power to remove the posts (hopefully that will be rectified) so they remain visible.

This is actually why I've taken down my threads on the Creative Writing forum, because I didn't want such personal things being 'tainted'. As such I won't be posting anything else for a while.
(02-22-2016, 02:51 PM)Sharpey Wrote: This is actually why I've taken down my threads on the Creative Writing forum, because I didn't want such personal things being 'tainted'. As such I won't be posting anything else for a while.

No! POOMBZET, damn you... *shakes fist*

That makes me really sad, honestly. It sullied the precious Creative Writing section, and because of that people will miss great pieces like yours.
"Each night has one sound I know: the moon against the water like your cheek across mine in another life." – Sara Eliza Johnson
Ugh! Don't remind me POOMBZET! It ruined the poem if Ivan and I CAN_NOT_FORGIVE_THAT!!! That pisses me off at a point I would destroy a house punching every brick until it collapses!
Let's see the bright sight of this world!
Well, the bots certainly won't stop me from posting my stories... creativity shall not be censored or otherwise muzzled! Cool

Cheers, Ivan
"Let my worship be within the heart that rejoiceth, for behold: all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals."
The Goddess -
Seeing how past events have unfolded, you now have the possibility to let me know if there will be such an incident again and I have the power to remove them from everywhere, just keep in mind I am not here 24/7.

Enjoy yourselves!
Here to help and guide. 
This is wonderful news, Vally, especially if this includes removing spam posts. Thank you! We can never appreciate your help enough.