Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Books?
Let's start a thread about books  and what we're reading, because a forum for an online sex mmo is the perfect place for that Smile

I wanted to start this thread because yesterday my brother lent me a few books to read/finish reading (My brothers a pretty big reader. He just finished memoirs of a geisha). I slacked off on reading for most of 2015/2016, and my own personal reading will probably be a bit slow because I have to read my university books first.

Here's a list of things I have just read, am reading now, or will read when I finish something else.

Reading now:
-Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky

Will read:
-We by Yevgeny Zamyatin

Most of the required readings for university are plays, because my degree is in theatre. Reading plays isn't nearly as satisfying as watching them. Plays are a blueprint for a show (I think Harold Pinter said that. Probably. He said a lot of stuff).
   Hilarious - TIME Magazine                                                                 Nothing else quite like her - Morgan Freeman
                                                   Absoloutley Sensational - Obama
      Who is Sasso? - Man I met on the bus                           Truly the MnF forumer of our time - Steven Hawking
I'm Reading the:- Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung
Visit the MnF Ambassador site for information MnF Clans..  (Please contact me to list your clan)
[Image: ambassador-ani3.gif?w=736]
Actually I'm reading this amazing book

-----> Voyage au centre de la Terre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viaje_al_c..._la_Tierra, to more details and possible, read it n.n
I'm currently reading "A song of Stone" by Iain Banks.
It's not a Iain M Banks, so it's not a "Culture" story (best Sci Fi there is !), but oh my god this guy writes so well...
Making a girl smile can be much more rewarding than bedding her...
in my life i read only sage "Witcher".
I love Bernard Cornwell's books, "The Saxon Chronicles" were excellent.
I'm currently reading Cold Harbour Jack Higgins -books-
(Thriller, espionage, mystery)
#40 + Books I’d bring in a desert island
US :
  • Cormac Mc Carthy : The road  => a very big kick in your face
  • James Ellroy: The L.A. quartet, Underworld USA trilogy, Killer on the road => best crime fiction
  • Brett Easton Ellis: American Psycho, Glamorama => capturing the 80’s and 90’s zeitgeist
  • Robert Jordan: The wheel of time saga => best fantasy
  • Robert M. Pirsig: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance => blow your mind in tiny bits
  • Philip K Dick: A scanner darkly, Ubik => holy shit !
  • Tim Powers: The Anubis Gates, On Stranger Tides => minor books, great fun
  • Dan Simmons: Hyperion, Illium => second best Sci Fi
  • Frank Miller: Dark Knight, Daredevil renaissance, 300, Sin City (graphic novels) => if Elroy had been a comic book author
UK:
  • Terry Pratchett: discworld series, Good omens (with Neil Gaiman) => LMAO !
  • Neil Gaiman: Good omens (with Terry Pratchett), American Gods, Neverwhere, Sandman (graphic novel) => modern mythology
  • Iain M Banks: culture series => best Sci Fi
  • Iain Banks: The bridge => best book of one of the best UK writers
  • JRR Tolkien: Bilbo the hobbit, Lord of the rings => a fantasy classic
  • JK Rowling: Harry Potter Saga => a fantasy classic that does not know it’s fantasy
  • Alan Moore: V for Vendetta, Watchmen (graphic novels) => making comic books an art form
  • Grant Morrison: Arkham Asylum, The Invisibles (graphic novels) => Tarantino gone comics
France:
  • Maurice G. Dantec: La sirène rouge, Les racines du mal, Babylon babies => the twilight of a millenia, the dawn of another… and another very big kick in your face
  • Michel Houellebecq: extension du domaine de la lutte, les particules élémentaires => capturing the zeitgeist of the 00’s
  • Antoine Buéno : le soupir de l’immortel => capturing the zeitgeist of the future
  • Guillaume Dustan : Nicolas Pages => autofiction I liked
  • Frédéric Beigbeder : L’amour dure 3 ans => a minor book with a major influence on me
  • Joseph Kessel : une balle perdue => my first contact with “serious” literature
  • Marcel Proust: à la recherche du temps perdu => so much style
  • Albert Cohen : Belle du seigneur => best romance I ever read
  • Albert Camus: L’étranger => ever felt alien ?
  • Caryl Ferey: all his works => a fucking talented writer
  • Daniel Pennac: La saga Malaussène => MDR ! (french for LMAO)
  • Jean d’Ormesson : la douane de mer => I needed a writer from the french academy
  • Alain Ayroles : de cape et de crocs (comic books) => Molière and Alexandre Dumas gone comics !
Other:
  • Haruki Murakami (Japan): A Wild Sheep Chase => this guy will be nobel prize of literature
  • Eiji Yoshikawa (Japan): Musashi => capturing what bushido is about
  • Yukito Kishiro (Japan): Gunnm => Cyberpunk gone manga
  • Kazuo Koike (Japan) : Lone Wolf and Cub => Bushido gone manga
  • S.P. Somtow (Thailand) : Dragon’s fin soup and other novels => sanuk !
  • Jose Saramago (Portugal): Ensaio sobre a Cegueira, Ensaio sobre a Lucidez => this guy is nobel prize of literature
  • Fernando Pessoa (Portugal) : all his works ! => more than 50 writers in one guy
  • Luis Sepulveda (Chile): Un viejo que leía novelas de amor => an easy and fun way to get in the world of south american literature
  • Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Colombia): El amor en los tiempos del cólera => another nobel prize of literature
  • Rodrigo Fresan (Argentina): Mantra => Mexican pop culture gone big literature
Making a girl smile can be much more rewarding than bedding her...
Educational Book Included ?
Just finished Heart of a dog by Mikhail Bulgakov. I'd probably have a better opinion if it didn't take me months to read (It's not even very long, I just would forget about it for long stretches at a time).

In brief, a dog called Sharikov is subject of an operation by a doctor called Philip Philippovich Preobrazhensky, who removes and replaces the dog's testicles and pituitary gland with that of a human's. Sharikov then slowly over time begins to walk, then talk like a human, until he eventually transforms into a fully grown man and refers to himself as Poligraph Poligraphovich, and makes a right menace of himself in the doctors home.

Heart of a dog is often seen as a satairisation of the soviet union (the book was written in 1925) and how something can be created then lost complete control of. I personally would probably need a second reading to really appreciate the political meanings in the story, although in retrospect I can definitely see them there.

I'm looking to finish Metro 2033 next. I have it because my brother bought it for me in Australia because the game was pretty rad.
   Hilarious - TIME Magazine                                                                 Nothing else quite like her - Morgan Freeman
                                                   Absoloutley Sensational - Obama
      Who is Sasso? - Man I met on the bus                           Truly the MnF forumer of our time - Steven Hawking