Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's Learn to Draw!
Photo 
Current Assignment: Learn to Draw #02 - Simplifying Objects + Learning to See (coming in a bit!)

This subforum is blessed to have some very talented artists. Now some of you may know that I've written music in the past and posted some poetry in the Creative Writing forum. What you might not know is that I can also draw. There's one very good reason for this:

I'm not particularly good at it. My sister got the drawing talent; I got the music talent.

But that doesn't mean I can't learn! And you can learn with me! So I'd like to lead all of you fellow novice artists through a series of videos on YouTube from Brandon Schaefer entitled "Learn to Draw". Every Thursday (barring any real-life barriers) I'll post a new video and ask you all to draw with me. 

Although the videos recommend a number of different drawing implements, I'll be using:

- A pencil
- A pencil eraser
- A blank sheet of paper

I'll scan my drawings and post them here. If you don't have access to a scanner of some kind, just take a picture of what you drew with your phone and either attach it or post it to a site like Imgur. Obviously you can follow along with a program like Paint or a tablet app if you want, but I'd recommend following the video's methods, which would be using lighter lines for sketching and darker lines for finishing.

Finally, this thread is meant for people who normally don't draw. But more experienced artists are welcome to chime in with any tips and tricks they'd like to share with the rest of the class.

Enough talk! Let's learn to draw!

Learn To Draw #01 - Sketching Basics + Materials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewMksAbgdBI

My drawing:

As suggested in the video, I drew something in my apartment: A lamp next to the computer desk.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to shade it. But it is somewhat lamp-shaped, so I'm calling this a win.
[Image: tumblr_m5n0e4lflM1ryds47o8_r1_250.gif]
(09-01-2016, 10:13 AM)JCF Wrote: As suggested in the video, I drew something in my apartment: A lamp next to the computer desk.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to shade it. But it is somewhat lamp-shaped, so I'm calling this a win.

Is it Pun-day already?

Anyway, here is my attempt..

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1088]
I realise that the tree on the mug doesn't follow the curve of the vessel, but I was getting bored -_-

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks for the tip, man! That's really nice and clever.
Let's see the bright sight of this world!
Heyo, have fun drawing ^^

I chew my gum erasers and there is nothing you can do about it!

PS: Don't use paint (the programm), it's a pain to draw something more complex with paint.
                                                                    [Image: signatur_august_16_2_by_mirrrage-dad5mv8.jpg]

I will 100% be following along with this! I have art experience and enough art materials for sketching and digital art (I'm absoloutley terrible with paint, I always feel so out of control with it). Lately thou I've been lacking any inspiration or motivation to make something really good. I'd love to join in on going over the basics, it's always important to refresh!

Will update when I get back to my flat and have all my art materials. Also, talking about digital art makes me realise I should make a thread about art programs...Hmm...

Good luck everyone, looking forward to seeing everyone's progress!
   Hilarious - TIME Magazine                                                                 Nothing else quite like her - Morgan Freeman
                                                   Absoloutley Sensational - Obama
      Who is Sasso? - Man I met on the bus                           Truly the MnF forumer of our time - Steven Hawking
Dammit... was feeling like hot garbage Sunday night when I was gonna post this and still not feeling so hot now. But I am going to make sure we get to lesson #2 some time tonight.
And I will do my best to join in still. Even if I am out of the country with no drawing materials.
Learn to Draw #02 - Simplifying Objects + Learning to See

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDe7kHa6MVo

Sorry for the delay!

Real life's been a bit nutty here and I've been a little less organized than usual. But here's my latest sketchpad (with image brightness tweaked slightly so some of the fainter lines can be seen better):

He suggested drawing your hand (in addition to the view outside or just something you're interested in) and so that's what I did. I noticed after the fact I drew my hand skinnier than it actually is, in part because I might've oversimplified the curves of the fingers a bit too much; they're more fleshy between the joints.

Again, even if you don't have a bunch of snazzy drawing materials, I'm just using a pencil and paper. So come and join us!
Sorry about the delay -- video #3 is coming. Again, feel free to submit drawings (and suggestions) for any of the videos -- this isn't Lost; go ahead and jump in anywhere at any time and tell me what video inspired you. :)
Keep going oAo you can get better with time and practice