Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
Memories (from the future) chapter 2
The aftermath of a damaged / crippled starship. Miss Parker leads a search / rescue party to the cut off area of the ship.

A Stellar Rescue: We left through the hatchway on D deck, but in the after portion and although smoky, there were no active fires in this part of E deck. I sent Gierson to check the forward bulkheads of the compartment, she said they were cool, so we opened the hatchway to the next compartment, and encountered several wounded personnel of F Battery; the hatchway to the next compartment was warped and warm to the touch. We helped move the wounded up to D deck where others took over, so we could continue or survey.
E deck was a mess, but F deck was worse, the compartment we entered was charred and badly warped, what was even worse was this was the main infirmary, which meant the senior medical staff was killed. DC 4 is on G deck after frame 60, and behind the firewall bulkhead that separates engineering from the rest of the ship. We stayed on F deck until at frame 40 we were forced down because of flooding in the missile magazine. Liquid Nitrogen was pumped into the compartments to prevent detonation, which meant living things could not enter.

Deck G was just a bunch of charred and twisted metal; several compartments were flashing red, which meant they were exposed to vacuum. We stayed in the starboard passageways as much as possible until we got to Frame 59, or the firewall. Passing through the airlocks we entered engineer country and Kaptain Daniels, the ship’s chief engineer, greeted me.

“Ah Miss Parker, so how bad is it?”

“Bad Ma’am the whole port side from Deck E to probably M is gone, we found some survivors at F battery..”

“And the other batteries?” she asked/

“Don’t know my task was to link up with you, F battery just happened to be on the route, also the infirmary is a total loss and the SRDM magazine is flooded, sealing off most of the undamaged area of F and E decks. Deck E forward of F battery is warm; fires are raging confirmed by examination of hatchways at frames 35 and 22. The bow is gone forward of frame 8.” I explained to the senior technical officer.

“Gone, as in destroyed?”

“No ma’am as in sliced off, floating out there somewhere along with A turret, we lost her during the impact.”

“Right and I assume the Theta is worse off?”

“Oh yes, Ma’am, we cut her into two and the after part blew, and forward part was destroyed when their torps cooked off, that is what slagged the forward sections.”

“BDC?” she asked with a faint bit of hope.

“No commo, but since it is on J deck, we fear the worse…”

“Right, ok so is Greer in command?”

“Yes Ma’am, the superstructure minus some superficial damage and the VNB is fully intact; we have an aid station set up in the ward room.”

“Good, well we are fairly well off here, but I will send our people who aren’t dutifully employed up to the superstructure, also I am going to send a team to try to reach the BDC, carry on Miss Parker.”

“Aye Ma’am.”

We then went down the ladders on Engineering which took us to K deck, now things got tricky as somewhere between K and L the damage switches from starboard to port, also this area is where several items are stored many of which are very hazardous and flammable. We managed to move up through frame 42 before needed to divert down to L deck, and finding a fairly intact maintenance shaft switched from starboard to port. Then we moved up to frame 34 and the access hatch down to M deck.

The center bulk head was warped and you could tell that the starboard side was a total write off; we moved down through M deck and encountered a search team sent from DC 5. The DC and maintenance logos on some of my team did not shock them but seeing a whole bunch of command types did. Their leader a Senior DC Mate exclaimed

“Wow, you’re not from the BDC are you?”

“Ah no VNB, we are trying to link up with DC 5.”

“Ah right Ma’am if you would follow DCM Shultz she will take you back to Miss Winters and Miss Travis.” The SDCM named Michaels replied.

“Thank you SDCM Michaels that would be great.” I said after looking at her name tape, and then we walked the twelve frames to where DC 5 was located.

“Hey Cynthia, is that you?” a familiar voice called out.

“Yes it is Wendy, what a mess we are in.” I spotted my bunk-mate in the DC compartment with several others.

“You said it, how are things topside?” Asked a SS&M Lewtenette

“Well, you are going to find out, Miss Winters are you senior here?”

“Yes Miss Parker, although you are now as Command is in charge.” She said with visible relief that someone else would call the shots.

“Ah right, ok then Ma’am could you gather up all of the Officettes and senior personnel please?”

“Well I could, but you are looking at them already…”

“Oh, right what happened to G Battery?”

“M deck forward of frame 32 is exposed to Vacuum, one of those secondary explosions after the collision ripped a seam at the base of the Navigation Sail root.” Wendy interjected giving me the details of the problem,

“Damn, any survivors?” I asked either of them

“Not that we know of?” Wendy looked at Miss Winters, her expression was bordering on resignation and frustration, as clearly the senior of the three of us was in shock and out of her comfort zone to say the least.

“Has anyone checked?” I asked again trying to get a clear picture.

“What, go out in that?” the support Lewtenette asked with shock.
“Miss Winters, you may be SS&M, but you are still an Officette, it is our duty to go and find out, never mind, Gierson, grab your stuff we are going to see what is beyond frame 32….” I scolded well explained what I was going to do, Miss Winters was clearly an emotional wreck and temporarily unfit to lead or make decisions.

“You can’t do that…” She feebly tried to reassert her authority by her rank, but it was to no avail.

“Why not?” I countered, “as you so distinctly stated Ma’am, Command is in charge, Wendy stay put and get everyone ready to evac to Engineering. Ichorne you stay here and assist Miss Travis with getting the girls ready to move, Gierson and Ling and these two stalwart ladies will accompany me if I am not back in twenty minutes start evacuating.”

“What about using the lifeboats?” Miss Winters asked in one last desperate attempt to keep me, as an emotional anchor here.

“Oh you may, Ma’am but if we stay together then when the rescue party comes we have a much better chance of survival. Old Skull is DIS (Dead In Space) but she is not a threat to break up.” I turned to the DC team. “DC Mate Schultz, tell me who is the senior for these compartments?”

“Uh that would be Miss Gonzalez Environmental Officette, hydroponics deck O, but that is near Battery G.”

“Right and where is the Officette for DC 5?”

“You met her, SDCM Michaels, Miss Partridge was evacuated at Avonia, and her replacement did not arrive by the time of the scramble.”

“Right ok Wendy, look after Miss Winters, Shultz you are coming with me. Walters stay here. Ok gang let’s move.”

We headed towards frame 32 and got to the hatchway at frame 33, the red pressure light was on.

“Damn we have a breach, ok, folks suit up and go back to frame 34 and seal that hatch, we will use this as an airlock. However make sure frame 34 is closed because we will not be able to pressurize this compartment.”

“Aye aye.” The group said almost as one.

Having the two hatches closed we then cleared the corridors of anything that could fly around and cause damage and then locked ourselves in place and opened the hatch. After the compartment was vented we moved quickly through the next frame, frame 31 was also showing red, so we opened that hatch and sealed it behind us.
“Uh why did you do that Ma’am” asked Ling.

“Keeps integrity even though both compartments are vented, we will do this until we get to a green hatch. Also look for the breaches and any side compartments, search them even if the hatches are red, you may never know.

“Shultz, since this is your area, where are we at?”

“Potable water reclamation storage, Environmental is directly below us…ah here is the breach these tanks blew, rupturing the hull.”

“Right ok can you seal that breach?”

“Sure no problem, Harris and I have it.”

“Ok, follow quickly, there should be a hatch and ladder down to O deck soon, we will wait for you there if it is green if not we will continue down this deck until we find a green hatch.”

“Aye Ma’am.” As we continued down I overheard Shultz talking to Harris. “Now we see why she has the astrolabes, definitely going to go far… “

“Yeah Sarj, unless she gets killed, not like that pansy Winters…”

“Enough, Miss Winters is just out of her depth, you know those gals came all the way from the VNB…”

“No shit, wow, glad someone did not forget about us…”

We were out of earshot so I could only guess what the rest of the banter was, the hatch at frame 30, it was showing green, and so was the hatchway down to O deck. I took out a huge wrench from the tool kit and banged it on the side of the hatch. A few seconds later the view port slid open and I saw a face, not wearing a Vacuum suit. I motioned her back and towards the speakerphone.

“Ah I am glad to see you gals, can you let us out?” The speaker asked

“Uh how many and what section is this?” I asked

“Launch tube control systems, we have 14, Miss Dandridge is hurt, SLCM Rivers is in charge, we are up in frame 26.”

“Right ok, I need you to go back to frame 29 and seal the hatch, then do the same all the way to frame 27. Also you need to get some vac suits as the area between here and frame 32 is exposed, we are trying to seal the breaches but they may not hold.
“Aye Ma’am, you going to get us out?”
“We’ll do our best, there are others trapped below, that may be worse off than you.”

“Understood….”

“Uh Troopie is there a hatchway down to O deck forward?”

“Yes Ma’am in compartment 28, the hatch reads red though. Ok, well this hatch read green, so there is hope.”

We waited for the landing control tech to get back to compartment 26M and then for Schultz to bring her team up. “Ok we got it sealed, but there might be other leaks.” She said.

“Well we will find out, ok open that hatch.”

As the hatch opened the rush of air was not nearly as violent as with the ruptured tank sealed, the compartment was no longer exposed to vacuum, in fact the hatch at frame 31 flashed yellow, which meant low pressure but not vacuum.

“Good job Shultz, ok let’s open the hatch at 29 and see what happens.”

That hatchway had even a smaller rush and only went to yellow before we sealed it then went back to green. “Good, ok the area in front of us has atmosphere still, probably until we get to end of the ship since M deck ends at Frame 20. Schultz you and Harris head back aft and see if we can get yellow all the way to 33. Look for mirco breaches if we can get the path to yellow we can start moving these people out.”

“Aye, Ma’am are you sure you aren’t DC?”

“I scored second highest in that area, just keep me away from the guns and engines and we will do fine, ok Sarj?”

“You got it.”

There was a small leak that was easily patched, and after that the area was either yellow or green. We then opened the hatch down to O deck and entered the environmental level, Troopie Vort was down here along with Miss Gonzalez and about eight others. I told them that they could all make it to Engineering by going on M deck, and asked where Battery G is, I was informed that it was just forward of this compartment, probably where we saw the red hatch. I sent Shultz aft and down to P deck to collect the rest of Battery K and then headed up to Battery G.

Only I and Gierson and Ling went because we had hard vacuum suits rather than the soft suits. Luckily for us the access way between Engineering and Battery G was an airlock so we could cycle through without compromising the atmosphere. The area forward of Environmental was totaled however we could see that the three gunners were trapped in their turrets, as for the rest of the gun crews, they looked to have bought it. We searched quickly and found the remains of three crews but a huge hole was where the Battery Mistress’s station should have been. The gunners were in soft suits, and after prying them out, were able to move forward. We then reunited with the rest of the survivors from the lower deck and I made my way back to DC 5.

“DC 3, this is Miss Parker I am at DC 5 with 53 survivors.”

“Say again how many?”

“Five Three from portside decks M on Down, senior Officette present is Majourette Gonzalez from Environmental, also present is Miss Winters, and Miss Travis. Miss Dandridge is injured and presently sedated…”

“Anything from Miss Evans?”

“No Ma’am we only got three people from G Battery, they were all gunners and isolated in the turrets.”

“Ok good work Parker, get your group back to Engineering and then tell Ms. Daniels to get her group up here, we are going to evac out of the lifeboat station on C deck, Illy is sending shuttles, ETA about twenty minutes.”

“Aye Ma’am out. Al’right we are going aft to Engineering then up to C deck, Ms. Greer has decided to evacuate from there and I happen to agree with her, so if you are not carrying anything vital help out the injured, let’s go!’

The trip back to Engineering was easier than the trip from, mainly because we knew where we were going and could bypass much of the hazards. We had one slight delay as a compartment had to be patched so we could get a yellow reading but beyond that we got everyone in the group safely to Engineering.

There Ms. Daniels officially took over, even though she still deferred to my decisions on the route out. From DC 4 I updated Ms. Greer we now had 249 survivors, which coupled with the 365 collected from the rest of the ship mounted to about 25% of the complement.

Ms. Daniels expedition to the BDC met with abject failure, the damage was just too severe. The trip from DC 4 to DC 3 was also easier, again we stopped to patch some compartments but we got to DC 3 and Deck C with about 5 minutes before the first shuttle arrived.

Ms. Greer wanted to put me on the first shuttle, but I told her, that I would like to join her on the last one, in fact my entire team wanted to stay behind to see if they could find any more survivors. Finally after all the wounded and other personnel were evacuated we boarded the last shuttle and left the Old Skull for the last time.

Upon arrival Ms. Greer, Ms. Daniels, Miss Travis and I were ordered to Flag Plot, to give an account of what happened. Miss Winters had to be sedated so that made Miss Travis the senior for her compartments. The toll of the Golgotha was 614 survivors, most of them wounded to one degree or another and the rest of the 2000 crew (actually 1824 since we were under strength in several areas) were missing and presumed lost. Among the hallowed dead were Lady Amanda, Ms. Walker and Miss Thompson, and from my training rotation, Sensor Mate Hollister, Troopie Waters, and Rookie Dambroux. Two were on the BDC or adjacent stations and Dambroux was in the flight operations area. For their performance, Troopies Ichorne and Ling were promoted to Troopie Upper Class, and Gierson was promoted to Troopie. They all got the Meritorious Service Medal. As for those summoned to see Lady Shelly that is another story.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Memories (from the future) chapter 2 - by Sylviekat - 08-17-2016, 05:51 PM