Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
Memories (from the future) chapter 2
Thanks Willie, Cath and others anyway the start of chapter 2

Mademoiselle Parker, SAN: 2628-2630
Fleet Training: Unlike the Salon, fleet training was all business and very intense. The Fleet Training Center is a huge complex that is in orbit around Avonia Prime. There were several hundred Kaydettes and thousands more enlisted fresh out of their primary training. Wendy and I were assigned to the AISA Montessori, Elementary Fleet Training Vessel 16, under the command of Kommandette Sally Burton.

The Montessori was nothing more than a converted Soro class transport ship that was a stellar classroom. Her permanent crew consisted of eighteen Officettes, two ordained officettes and 26 Senior PERS. Her training detachment consisted of thirty Kaydettes, 60 junior PERS and 240 Junior Enlisted. We were divided into five watches. Ship’s mistress and her executive along with the COB and Chief Bo ‘son formed the command element. The chief Engineer and her two senior mates accounted for the permanent Engineering staff, Sister Nurse Superior Wilcox and Sister Nurse Alexander along with two Apothecaries handled the medical and spiritual needs, while the rest of the permanent party formed the training cadre.

The Montessori had trainees for the 8th, 13th and 20th Starfleets. Two watches were assigned for the trainees from the 8th and another one and half for the 20th. The 13th had one full and the other half watch. Wendy and I were both assigned to the half watch, or the 5th Watch. Majourette Rita Johnson was the matriarch for 5th Watch. Two Lewtenettes Kimberly Dennis, and Laura Sternmeyer aided her. We had Sarjenette Upper Class Ursula Travis, (5th cousin to Wendy) as the Watch Chief. She was assisted by three Sarjenettes; Chief Gunner’s Mate Gloria Walker, Chief Engineer’s Mate Stephanie Marshal; and Chief Boson’s Mate Urmidio Vort (a Wandii from the Alien Auxiliary). The SPERS along with the two Lewtenettes (Miss Sternmeyer for Navigation, and Miss Dennis for other Bridge Operations) were the primary instructors as we learned the ins and outs of the ship.
The trainees of 5th watch which, included six Kaydettes, 12 Junior PERS (Junior Sarjenettes); and 48 rookies that were fresh from primary formed the rest of our watch. We were likewise divided into three divisions. Each division had two Kaydettes, four JPERS, and 12 Junior Enlisted. Wendy and I were both in 2nd division. And to continue each division was divided into two shifts (port and starboard), each led by one Kaydette and two JPERS with 8 ratings. The last sub-division was, the enlisted were finally separated into Fore and Aft sections led by a Junior Sarjenette and four enlisted that were naturally in two pairs.
Ok I had Starboard Shift, and so the rest of my shift looked like this: Fore Section: Junior Sarjenette Tamara Andrews, Rookies, Amy Hunt; Beverly Waters, Cindy Ichorne, and Paulette Dambroux. Aft Section: Junior Sarjenette Lisa Hollister and Rookies Foxy Girl (A reptilian Alien called a Ssuperliss), Uvoki Vort, and Quihn Mai Ling, and Gracie Lou Geirson. The Kaydettes were bunked in Officette Company, and I shared my quarters with Wendy. 5th Watch was berthed between decks H and K, and 2nd Division in the after frames of deck J. So my gals had bunks on the starboard side of Deck J between Frames 15 and 30. The fore section had Frames 15 to 20 and the aft section 21 to 28 (29 and 30 was the lavatory). After reporting in and being directed to our respective bunks to store our baggage, we were still in Shore dress which with the boots made walking around the ship a bit cumbersome.

“Ok Fifth Watch I am Majourette Johnson, I am the Matriarch for this watch, we will spend six cycles together which coupled with your Kaydette cruise will complete your training and certification as a Officette in SAN. To aid me with your training I have Miss Dennis and Miss Sternmeyer. They will be your evaluators along with me. For general evaluation I have 1st Division, Miss Dennis has 2nd Division and Miss Sternmeyer has 3rd. However in our respective specialties we have the primary evaluation. Miss Sternmeyer will teach you Navigation and rudimentary Astrogation, and Miss Dennis will get you fully acquainted with the Bridge and all of the fun things there. My specialty is with the offensive and defensive systems of this tub, otherwise called weapons. Miss Perkins, the matriarch of 4th Watch will teach you the fine arts of engineering, and I will teach her Kaydettes Weapons. Likewise Miss Rothchild, the matriarch of 3rd Watch, Miss Ebhert, 2nd, and Miss Justin, 1st watch will instruct you in the following areas respectively, ship board operations, damage control, and naval tactics. Ms. Burton, as well as Ms. Jenkins, the Executive, and Ms. Nelson our chief Engineer might have a thing or two to show you as well. Our training rotation is as follows 1st Cycle: ship familiarity and Bridge Ops and Navigation. Followed by Weapons, the 2nd Cycle. 3rd Cycle you will be with Miss Perkins, and 4th Cycle with Miss Ebhert and Miss Rothchild. 5th Cycle will be with Miss Justin and then back with me to combine everything you have learned. Finally 6th cycle we evaluate you on what you have learned, and we will assign you to your specialty and first assignment. Any questions? Ok good, Ladies take charge of your respective divisions, 1st section follow me, dismissed.”

Miss Dennis motioned for Wendy and me to follow her to her quarters, upon entering she closed the door and sat down on her bunk. It seemed the she shared the bunk with Miss Sternmeyer who left her group in the wardroom.

“As you can see Laurie got the short straw, so she will do her formal introduction now and wait for the informal introductions.” She said with a sly grin. “Ok first the formal stuff, since you two gals are my Kaydettes for 2nd Division I will let you know that I am stern but fair, our purpose is to train you to be Officettes in SAN and at the same time determine where in SAN you belong. Each section has its duties and may lead to a command of your own but some paths are quicker than others, but no matter if you get Services or Bridge Command do your duty to the best of your ability and serve the Empress proudly.”
We both nodded as she continued “Now Wendy and Cynthia, you two are both from Sally Ride correct?”
Again we nodded yes almost in unison “Ah good, were you paired, no wait names too far apart same circle?”
“No Ma’am Wendy said”
“ Oh drat, well I guess we will make up for lost time, and Wendy when we are not on duty it’s Kim, got that, same for you Cyndi.”
“Yes Ma’am er Kim….”
“Your quarters are adjacent to mine and Laurie’s, and across from her girls, so that makes things convenient. Consider you two a pair, and likewise partnered with Laurie and me.”
Wendy looked over at me and smiled, my return expression was on the bashful side
“I see by your expressions you understand. So let’s get comfy and know one another better” Kim said while unfastening Wendy’s jumper….

After several hours of intense informal counseling, we washed up and changed into the uniform which, we would spend 80% of our waking time in for the whole training rotation: Shipboard Duty dress: This was a blue polo shirt with rank insignia on each collar, a black skort with high friction sandals. In combat conditions we would wear a skintight vacuum suit instead, but for daily wear the ship board duty dress was the name of the game. Enlisted wore their rank insignia on the right sleeve, all certified personnel had their specialty either as a pin or embroidered logo over the left breast with the name tape on the right. As trainees we only had the nametape. Before departing Kim’s quarters she told us that we should each meet our shift, as although we will be learning the duties of an Officette, it will be OJT with the new JPERS and rookies. She told us that typically each shift is assigned to the same ship or vessel for the shake down and certification cruise. We kissed her good bye, and it was more than a friendly kiss and I went to go find the girls of Starboard 2-5.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Memories (from the future) chapter 2 - by Sylviekat - 08-12-2016, 10:02 PM