Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's Learn to Draw!
Photo 
Current Assignment: Learn to Draw #02 - Simplifying Objects + Learning to See (coming in a bit!)

This subforum is blessed to have some very talented artists. Now some of you may know that I've written music in the past and posted some poetry in the Creative Writing forum. What you might not know is that I can also draw. There's one very good reason for this:

I'm not particularly good at it. My sister got the drawing talent; I got the music talent.

But that doesn't mean I can't learn! And you can learn with me! So I'd like to lead all of you fellow novice artists through a series of videos on YouTube from Brandon Schaefer entitled "Learn to Draw". Every Thursday (barring any real-life barriers) I'll post a new video and ask you all to draw with me. 

Although the videos recommend a number of different drawing implements, I'll be using:

- A pencil
- A pencil eraser
- A blank sheet of paper

I'll scan my drawings and post them here. If you don't have access to a scanner of some kind, just take a picture of what you drew with your phone and either attach it or post it to a site like Imgur. Obviously you can follow along with a program like Paint or a tablet app if you want, but I'd recommend following the video's methods, which would be using lighter lines for sketching and darker lines for finishing.

Finally, this thread is meant for people who normally don't draw. But more experienced artists are welcome to chime in with any tips and tricks they'd like to share with the rest of the class.

Enough talk! Let's learn to draw!

Learn To Draw #01 - Sketching Basics + Materials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewMksAbgdBI

My drawing:

As suggested in the video, I drew something in my apartment: A lamp next to the computer desk.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to shade it. But it is somewhat lamp-shaped, so I'm calling this a win.
[Image: tumblr_m5n0e4lflM1ryds47o8_r1_250.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Let's Learn to Draw! - by -J- - 09-01-2016, 10:13 AM
RE: Let's Learn to Draw! - by Sharp - 09-01-2016, 10:48 AM
RE: Let's Learn to Draw! - by Cath - 09-01-2016, 01:58 PM
RE: Let's Learn to Draw! - by Mirrage - 09-02-2016, 07:55 PM
RE: Let's Learn to Draw! - by Sasso - 09-04-2016, 05:54 AM
RE: Let's Learn to Draw! - by -J- - 09-06-2016, 06:03 PM
RE: Let's Learn to Draw! - by Sharp - 09-06-2016, 08:57 PM
RE: Let's Learn to Draw! - by -J- - 09-09-2016, 07:00 PM
RE: Let's Learn to Draw! - by -J- - 09-15-2016, 10:37 PM
RE: Let's Learn to Draw! - by RylieT - 03-23-2017, 03:17 AM