MNF Club Forums

Full Version: Pastel de nata
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
You're called a pastel de nata,
You're just a fucking custard tart,
The hype and buzz is worth nada,
You're not really any better,
Pastry's different, but at heart,
You're just a fucking custard tart,
A nice combination of humor and anger. I like the repetition of the near rhymes with the couplets, it gave it kinda of a school yard chant quality to it.
I'd been hearing about this thing and how it was amazing for months. It really is very little different from a british custard tart. Not as deep filled and some with different pastry, but incredibly similar. Its nice, but not out of this world.
Maybe you didn't find one really good, it depends on how it's done, I have a bakery in Oporto that have one fabulous Pastel de Nata, it's made by them and it's always fresh (sometimes I get one coming out of the hoven).
And then you have Pastel de Belem, similar to Pastel de nata but with a recipe of their own.
Bottom line, that's similar to custard tart, yes, it's good, yes, but we have in Portugal much better cakes (like the travesseiros from Periquita) or the amazing Tentugal pastries and of course the fabulous Azeitão pie, just to give you few examples...
There some nice almond pastry thing I had a couple of times. I liked that.
We also had travesseiros from Periquita, which is one of the places we bough Pastel de Nata too. We tried them from a few places. Its nice, but I don't really think its all that much different to a custard tart, and not really better. Maybe I just like nutmeg Smile

Travesseiros are not bad, I like them and the almond pastry thing was really nice (though like Sharp I have no idea what its called, we only bought them from none english speakers).
Pointing in English means the same as pointing in Portuguese. We were fine.
*Points*
Je ne comprends pas *shrugs*
Pages: 1 2