Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Learn to roleplay / learn to do it better.
Bumping this because there's some excellent advice here, and I know there are still plenty of roleplayers in-game and on this forum.

As for my advice, I'll repeat what's been said a number of times here: Listen to your partner.

Does your partner hate being spanked or slapped in any way? Does your partner like their ears played with? Is your partner more focused on giving than receiving? Questions like these are important to have answers to, and since there's a unique person behind every avatar on that island, you should never assume that everyone will like what one person liked.

For example, plenty of people are fine with this:

*My hulking body casts a shadow over your lithe elven form, and I look down and grin.* Me Gronk. Gronk orc.

Others prefer this:

The hulking body casts a shadow over her lithe elven form, and he looks down and grins. "Me Gronk. Gronk orc."

Find out what you can compromise on, what you can't, and the same for your partner -- as with any relationship, good chemistry takes work to build, but it's a beautiful thing indeed when you have something that works.
[Image: tumblr_m5n0e4lflM1ryds47o8_r1_250.gif]
(01-20-2016, 04:20 PM)Bansai Wrote: Golden rule of thumb: Please your partner first before yourselves Wink
Best advice , and not only for this game indeed Wink

Good topic too, full of good advice and well worth the bump.

But there are a few things i disagree tough, and thats because i feel that rp (here especially) can mean very different things to different people, which go from just describing a sex scene without any character development or plot, to a full epic story where sex is absent. Which is why im really not a fan of jumping into rp without preliminary talk, for agreeing at least on a setup and timeline (i especially mean a 1st rp with a person, once u know each other a bit or if ure a very experienced player, u can obviously move faster, but i really wouldnt advise it for starters).

An advice that i feel is missing here, is to separate between content and style. They re both important, but i feel discussion style is way underrated in game, yet its really what makes the difference between an enjoyable and a boring session to me. Style isnt just grammar (3d vs 1st person, in particular) and vocabulary use, which jcf just gave an example, but also pm vs all chat (i for one dislike pm for rp, as it gives me the impression my partner is doing something else at the same time, and hanging with pple in pms remind me parties where everyone is on their phone), which will pretty much define the speed and line length (short and quick back and forth-> all chat, long and detailed posts-> pm).

Voila for my opinion, i dont think i can add more to it as it would just be restating whats already been said:
- leave room for ur partner to pitch in, dont control her/his actions, and throw some lines to her/him to work with
- keep ooc communications open and clear (no matter what the rp was, feedback and a virtual hug will only improve  the next sessions)
- dont hesitate to try go out of ur confort zone, but also dont hesitate to stop if its too much for u (an agreed safe word can work in here too)
- be honest to urself and ur partner with what u like/dont like.
- Remember there can be incompatibilities between people here, its not disliking each other if u just dont click in a rp. See if u wanna retry in a different way, or just leave on friendly terms. Again , communication+feddback is the key
ive gotten better over the period of playing mnfclub
(02-12-2016, 05:03 PM)Kyrios Wrote: Many of these things have already been mentioned, but here is my advice.

Some quick RP tips for those interested in improving:

Differentiate between speech and actions with some visible cue. Typically, if you do a lot of speech use an action identifier, if a lot of action a speech identifier.

*I hug you, saying* You are great.

Try to use language appropriate to the situation, don't be scared of using a little hyperbole or exaggeration , if you are in a romantic context (the example I am using), the following is better than the above

*I draw you into my embrace, saying* You are perfect.

Add sensory details, be explicit, if your partner knows exactly what is going on it is easier for them to visualise what you mean to convey

*I draw you into my embrace, placing my mouth next to your ear. You feel the warmth of my breath as I whisper* You are perfect

Remember that this is a collaborative enterprise, even if you are in control of the scene, describing your surroundings and such, avoid dictating the other characters actions.

WRONG

YOU: *As I lay you on the soft silk sheets, the smooth fabric caresses your skin raising shivers. I take a chocolate from the bowl and press it against your   lips. As you bite into it the sharp tang of liquor coats your tongue* 

BETTER

YOU: *I lay you on the soft silk sheets, the smooth fabric caresses your skin.*

THEY: *I shiver as the cold clean sheets touch me*

YOU: *I reach tot eh bowl and select a chocolate bringing it to your lips*

THEY: *I part my lips, taking the treat into my mouth and savouring it*

YOU: *As you bite into it the sharp tang of liquor coats your tongue*.

Understand the difference between you the character and you the player. If you want to talk as a player then I would suggest using something to signify that you are (talking in brackets often works)

Kiss me *I press you down, gently pushing you towards my groin* (Are you comfortable with that?)

Try to get into a rhythm and match a pace with your partner. If you're partner types a paragraph, you don't necessarily need to type as much, its important to keep things flowing, not show who is the best typist. Similarly if you are leaving your partner behind with your speed you should probably slow down.

Look for cues about what your partner wants and likes, then try to build on them even if they move you away from your original intent

YOU: *I kiss the back of your neck moving up to gently nibble your ear*

THEY: Ohhh *I moan as you touch my ear*

YOU: *I run my tongue across your ear, then gently kiss and nip your earlobe, whilst my hands slide across your stomach*

Talk about things before hand and be very clear about what you want. This is exceptionally important if you are oging to be doing kinky stuff, let your partner know if there are things you don't want as well as do.

Learn your skills, limits and fantasies and be fearless exploring them, but respect those of your partner.

Lastly, as you play more, figure out the times when you should bend or break the above rules and with who.

I'm new to the game and forum and have never really roleplayed before. I just found the game yesterday when I was in need of release Tongue  and had the pleasure of having a great first in-room experience that lasted a while and had some good rp elements which I enjoyed really much so now I'm hooked and read this post to get into the groove and figure out the does and don'ts. Which turns out, are different for different people. But nothing's ever that simple.

Still I found this post and all the input super helpful but Kyrios was - for me - the best with all the examples so thank you very much for your time and effort to explain and share your wisdom!
(12-04-2015, 08:59 PM)RP_RICK Wrote: With all the "Do"s, i will leave here also something that in my personal opinion is a a "Don't",  and i have seen it made a couple of times.

In my opinion, remember you are plating your role in the scenario, so avoid adding what the other person is doing to your own actions, give him/her room to come up with their own reactions. Also in the same line, avoid moving forward too fast. Take some breaks between actions to give room for your partner to react.

hey you look yummi in that pastel reveling outfit. why don't you come to my crapy room to suck my cock all night when I'm not fucking your ass?
Wait what..
*Pass a hand inside your suit, pinching a nipple hard as you look him in the eyes with surprise.*
[Honestly, this could've been an interesting idea, but it's kind of cringy when you type out my actions/reactions...]
"you look him in the eyes with surprise" - what if I'm not surprised?
"Pass a hand inside your suit" - maybe I backed away, how could you then "pinching a nipple hard as you look"?
That just breaks all immersion..
if you have imerssion problem its not mines.
have a nice day noob
'Patriciano' has added you to ignore list

Don't be that guy.. Confused
Majus, I've encountered that type of player once or twice and they SUCK. I mean, if you're writing peoples' reactions for them, you're not really roleplaying: You're writing a novel.

God I hate those people.
Ambassador of butts
[Image: plmKhZhPj]
There is one exception to this. And be sure to ask because not everyone's going to be into it.

Every now and then, I'd get a message from a partner about getting visited in my sleep and "attacked". A couple paragraphs of hot, steamy action over a span of maybe 3-4 PMs. It's generally more common on F-List, but when you've got a partner you really like who's into it enough, it's a fun way of staying in touch, especially if you can't manage to meet them in-game.

I've actually done a few variations of the dreaded "*grabs ur azz*" starter where I'll reach and then be hilariously thwarted in Wile E. Coyote-esque ways before the grope can be completed. I think the last time was with a piano and it gave me the chance to say "The note was sharp. I'm flat."
I don't mind a random grabber if I'm in the mood Smile But when he dictates my actions for me, not in the hot "Do what I say" kind of way, but more like he's puppeteering me ("You turn around and gasp: YOU! Then you lick your lips and...") it becomes a turnoff. I can play along, random person! Trust in my agency Smile
Ambassador of butts
[Image: plmKhZhPj]
Lol... but sometimes if you don't.. well it's just not going to go any farther than the drool dripping from their open mouth as you sit in silence while the cartoon plays on.
It's been said a number of times over the past three years in this thread alone, and it bears repeating in light of this. Roleplaying is a collaboration.

You can be flawless in the shared language of your choice with a great deal of creativity and imagination. Your partner doesn't technically need any of that. What's needed is a connection between the two of you. If there's no shared understanding of what something means, there's no scene. More than anything else, that connection is what matters.

Otherwise you might as well just be masturbating by yourself. It's less effort and it doesn't piss anyone off.